Thursday, November 27, 2008

I, Too, Have Heard the Drunkards Howl

Remember how "when I get new music, I always listen to it, many times, because I tend not to be able to successfully evaluate my attitude towards a song until I've heard it many times?" Another set of songs I've been listening to recently is a fanmix for Hexwood that someone posted at the LJ DWJ community. I don't love any of these songs, although most of them are okay. I'm also less than convinced I see a strong connection between any of the songs involved and Hexwood - I can see a few themes that seem to come out in several of the songs, but they're not really themes I see in Hexwood.

Anyway, among the songs is one by a singer named Jolie Holland called "Stubborn Beast." You can download it at the above-linked LJ site, or read the lyrics here. The song is not at all my kind of music - it sounds like a country song. But I do like the lyrics - as a stubborn person myself, I'm fond of artwork about stubborn people ;-). In fact, it reminds me a little bit of Trigun, as one of the things I like so much about Trigun is Vash's incredible stubbornness ("sullen songs" is wrong, but "my misery and the source of my pride" is totally right!).

Anyway, the funny thing is that most of the time when I hear this song, I'm not listening closely to the lyrics and just hear the part about the barn being on fire, so what it really reminds me of is As I Lay Dying. I'd write a lengthy, fascinating discourse on the many deep connections between Trigun and William Faulkner that this reveals, but alas, no.

No comments: